December 28, 2021
7 Qualities to Look For in Boys’ Swimwear
It’s easy to get distracted by all the fun prints and bright colors when shopping for boys’ swim trunks, but style isn’t the only thing you should be paying attention to when you’re on the hunt. Picking the right pair for your adventurous little one comes down to finding styles that are also functional, especially if he’s planning to rock them from the beach to a birthday party to the resort restaurant. Shop Our Entire Line of Boys Beachwear
- Quick-Drying Material – Quick-drying fabric is one of the hallmark features of high-quality boys’ beachwear, and it’s not hard to see why. Kids spend their days in and out of the water, taking breaks from swimming to build sandcastles, throw the frisbee and rest for snacks. Quick-drying materials are critical to keeping your son comfortable and making sure he doesn’t bring salty, sandy water into the house or hotel room after a swim.
- Sun- and Surf-Protective Fabric – Hot days in the sun and surf call for extra protection, so length and fabric are important factors parents should consider when buying swim shorts and tops. By nature, most trunks will inherently have some level of ultraviolet protection factor (UPF), which helps shield your little one from sunburn. Longer swim trunks in a thicker fabric are ideal if you’re looking for extra protection, especially if your son enjoys riding the waves on a surfboard or boogie board. You may also want to consider pairing his trunks with a protective rash guard top to shield him from the sun and prevent surf rash. Don’t forget to slather on the SPF!
- An Adjustable Drawstring Waist – The reality is that kids grow like weeds, and the best trunks are the ones that will accommodate their growth spurts. Go with a pair that has an elastic waist with an adjustable drawstring so you can tighten or loosen it as he grows. This will prevent you from having to buy a brand-new stash every year and makes trunks easier to hand down to siblings. Elastic waists also help accommodate high-energy activities and keep your kids comfortable as they run, swim and play sports on the beach.
- A Comfortable Fit – With all the focus on performance and protection, it’s easy to forget that your child’s swimwear needs to be comfortable too. Stiff, scratchy fabric will only complicate getting ready for a beach day and will cause your child to fuss with their trunks all day. Aim for a relaxed yet tailored fit so they’re not too constricting or too loose on your child.
- Mesh Lining – Mesh lining is built into swim trunks in order to help prevent rashes and irritation caused by coming into contact with wet fabric all day. They also help improve breathability and speed up drying time. Picking a pair with inner mesh will help ensure that your child stays comfy and discomfort-free all day.
- Back and Side Pockets – Your little one needs a safe spot to stash cool rocks and shells he finds along the shore, so make sure his trunks have a pocket or two to keep them safe. Look for a pair with side pockets, as well as a Velcro-secured back pocket so he has a safe spot to store items when he’s on the go. Pockets also give trunks a more casual look, so they’re more appropriate for wearing in the resort restaurant or game room in between swims.
- A Style He’ll Be Excited About – Functionality is important, but that doesn’t mean style doesn’t matter! Make sure to pick a fun, exciting print or a bright color that your son will get excited about. We’ve also got a variety of cute father-son matching swim trunks that are perfect for creating a coordinated look and which make awesome outfits for your beach photo shoots. Don’t forget to include your little one in the selection process.